TRANSCENDING LIMITATIONS by Mauro M. Samson, LGU Kalibo, Aklan



Since the COVID-19 pandemic started, I have been thinking of how I would be able to help my fellow Persons with Disabilities (PWDs) even in my little capacity.  I thought of using social media to contact my friends and relatives who were more privileged in life. I knew the approach was risky for I was aware that everyone was suffering from fear of COVID-19 transmission and many are in financial difficulty due to locked down businesses and lost jobs. Despite this, I mustered my courage to ask. Fortunately, I was able to gather monetary and in-kind donations from people who trusted me. I bought and distributed diapers, milk, grocery packs, and personal hygiene kits which I found very useful to my beneficiaries who came from sixteen barangays of the Municipality of Kalibo and some parts of Aklan. They were mostly women, children, and bed-ridden senior citizens who were in agony due to their disabilities. Despite my own limitations, my desire to help through this humble advocacy gave me a sense of purpose and fulfillment.

The pandemic is not yet over.  Many are still suffering but by helping one another, especially the less privileged, I’m sure we can transcend this difficult time. As for me, I will continue to share what little I have in order to uplift others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment